Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Keep it Moving

I took all 3 of my kids (ages 2, 4, and 6) to a 3rd birthday party on Saturday morning. It was from 10 -12 am at the home of the birthday girl, and, I must say, it was perfect organized chaos. The key to a successful party for a child is to keep things moving. I define successful as a party in which there is no blood, very few tears, and the guest of honor has fun.

It really isn't possible to have one activity that will hold the attention of a room full of kids ranging in ages from 2 to 6. A great at home party should have a variety of activities each lasting about 15- 25 minutes. This party had a craft project to get things started, entertainment from a great singer, songwriter, storyteller, and, of course, good food and cake for all. The older siblings played in the playroom and also had a great time.

I was even able to visit with a few of the other parents and my husband stayed at home and worked on his honey-do list. All in all, a party for a 3 year old can be a great way to start a Saturday if executed correctly!

No comments: